A casino in Enid, OK???.If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an online casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, you most likely run into others you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation supplied by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying on the hotels inside area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was one of the many concessions made to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that appeared to be a video slot. We have got all seen the little digital bingo card at the top corner of the display screen of the video slot. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino could only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in a very trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it had been found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the location was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to be within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion with the revenue is split while using State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to boost infrastructure.
3. Related attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions like family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that didn't previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside with the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted way for governments to improve funds. It is seen as a source of money which is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the subsequent businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more frequently
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a large amount to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is an increase in the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person more info gambles often, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, therefore it takes more gambling and better stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling fires up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what can be your opinion? Do you think it would enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to deal with?